Friday, March 31, 2017

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Stieg Larsson)

Hey hey hey, it's time for another book review!

Mikael Blomkvist, a once-respected financial journalist, watches his professional life rapidly crumble around him. Prospects appear bleak until an unexpected (and unsettling) offer to resurrect his name is extended by an old-school titan of Swedish industry. The catch—and there's always a catch—is that Blomkvist must first spend a year researching a mysterious disappearance that has remained unsolved for nearly four decades. With few other options, he accepts and enlists the help of investigator Lisbeth Salander, a misunderstood genius with a cache of authority issues. Little is as it seems in Larsson's novel, but there is at least one constant: you really don't want to mess with the girl with the dragon tattoo.

~Goodreads


The book to end all books.

That's just me being over dramatic.


My friend has always been bugging me about reading this book. For at least four years. This is the same friend who told me the entire plot of 'the fault in our stars' before I even knew what the book was and it was only until someone else was telling me about it like-
"so the boy and the girl both have cancer but they go to Italy and-"
Wait a second. I know this, I think to myself. "The boy dies in the end, doesn't he"
Cue staring at me like I'm an alien. "You've read it?"
"It's a long story" I say hastily.

Honestly, she's like one of those NPC oracles in video games who pop up and hand you a glowing stick "hold this, you're gonna need it kiddo-" and then disappear. 2 hours later, the glow stick turns out to be exactly what you needed for a side quest and all the other players in the game are getting really pissed about how you're the only one getting hints from a secret fairy.

It's exactly like that. She spoils things for me before I even know who or what it is (before it gets main-stream, in other words) and then when things start getting popular, I'm clueless and yet I know everything at the same time. Its a pretty bizarre thing. (I like it though. I like ticking people off with my secret fairy telling me secret things xD)

Anyway, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is one of those books. While she hadn't as explicitly explained the plot like she did with The Fault in Our Stars (then again, it would be pretty hard to sum TGWTDT up and she mostly mentioned Lisbeth's story), I knew enough to be reluctant to read the book. She kept trying though (she sent PDFs) but I was really lazy and then the subject was dropped for a while.

My cousins read a lot of books and one of them had also read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo as well a spoof parody of it that someone had written. She was pretty eager to tell me the story and I decided to hear her out.

Both accounts were different. While my friend made it sound like the story was about a girl, my cousin made it sound like the story was about a journalist. I was really puzzled about this, but not puzzled enough to read the book for myself. My friend though, she's super adamant. Just a few weeks ago, she sent a package to me. I remember the day because it was a Saturday, I had had an OSCE in the morning and a school get-together at a friend's house and came home to the box.

Surprise surprise. She sent a candle too! It's gorgeous. I'm saving it for bad days cause watching the flame melt wax is oddly soothing.

Talk about dedication! No excuse not to read this book now. I spent that weekend reading the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Of course, I knew quite a bit about it already, so I was reading it a little impatiently, wondering when the plot twists that I knew existed would come in, so most of my reading was like "I wonder when SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER is going to happen?".

I enjoyed reading it though! There were some parts that I really loved, like the physical description of Lisbeth (mostly because the description fit me and didn't make me feel bad about it). I also liked how the story had so many layers and different plots running at the same time and how they tied up neatly together.

I could also understand why some people did what they did *cough* run away *cough* and why some people were angry at what they did (run away, cough cough). And I really liked how I could see both of their perspectives and agree with both of them at the same time, even though they both had extremely different opinions!

Anyway, this was a great book and I really liked reading it. I would definitely consider picking it up again in a few months (especially since it's a permanent member of my book shelf now). I'd give it a 4/5 rating with a caution for adult content (I guess 16+ would be okay? 18+ if you're squeamish. 20 if this is going to be your first mature content novel cause whew, some things in there are pretty creepy!!

13 comments:

  1. I like the way you've written this. It made me smile on a rainy morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it made you smile! I wanted to share my personal emotions when it comes to this book since it's been quite the bone of contention between my friend and I.
      Thank you for visiting!

      Delete
  2. I also love the way you've written this review, it's always nice to see topics presented slightly differently! I must say that I'm totally intrigued by this book now, I really need to pick it up! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    Abbey 🙊 www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read it! when you do, be sure to let me know what you thought about!
      Thanks for dropping by, Abbey (:

      Delete
  3. Love the way you wrote this, not your typical review. Giggled at some parts! Thanks for sharing!

    Jessica & James | foodandbaker.co.uk
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! :D I haven't read these books or seen the films, but my mum loves them. I may have to read it at some point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Sounds like yo have a really cool mom! You should definitely give it a go as well! Let me know what you thought of it. I haven't seen the films at all though!

      Delete
  5. Hmm.. this review has left me very intrigued! I've been meaning to read this for years too but keep putting it off. However, it sounds really interesting so I'll definitely have to give it a read!
    Love,
    Hayley X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, I put it off for years too! Now that I've finally read it, I'm glad I did!
      Let me know what you thought of it! I'd love to read your opinions.

      Delete
  6. This is one of the books people keeping say to read and I still haven't!
    I love the way you've wrote this post, so I may have to go and check this book out!

    Bronagh
    www.bronaghloves.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bronagh! I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did!

      Delete
  7. I completely missed the hype with this book and still haven't read it (shocking I know!). Also I hope the OSCE went well - I have mine coming up in May!
    Joelle
    www.justjoelle.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment and leave a link.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...