Monday, October 31, 2016

My First Time Failing A Brand

I don't normally like to chuck dirt around and make a mess but sometimes, you just can't help but defend yourself. I've signed up for a bloggers newsletter of sorts where brands ask for bloggers and you can pick which 'assignment' you want to apply for. I rarely find anything I can apply for since everything happens in the UK to the point where sometimes I actually resent this country (DON'T EXPECT ME TO SAY THANKS FOR THE RAILROADS AND OUR INDEPENDENCE).

I feel like the blogosphere is very saturated with specifically English bloggers. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but when all the English bloggers are focused on English bloggers, then it's kinda hard to get noticed. You'd think people would like variety (hey look, a blog written in Pakistan!) but it turns out birds of a feather flock together.

Anyway, back to the point. So I applied for an assignment and got accepted (you hear that? You have to apply and get accepted) and I had to review an app. You can check out my review here. Now one of my personal policies on this blog is that I'm not going to blow anything out of proportion (unless it's something actually cool). And I didn't do that at all! I didn't make mountains out of mole holes, I wrote exactly what I thought about this app. In fact, I even kept some of the more negative opinions to myself.

It didn't take long till the deadline was done and I got an email in my inbox. Here is the email in its entirety. I've taken the liberty to highlight all the things I have a problem with.
Morning, 
It has to come to our attention that you have written a blog after spotting the Blogger Require competition. 
If you had read our Terms and conditions via the website you will have seen the clause which states that you cannot mention that the reason you’re writing the blog post is because its a competition.
Although you have your opinion on Huggle, we feel it is unfair and in parts wrong. And I kindly ask that you remove your blog post, or at least edit it. There are a lot of things in your blog which are not correct and we do not want this to damage our brand. Firstly, you can add places when you first download Huggle. You can choose up to 5 places anywhere. Therefore you can see places/events that you have previously visited. 
Huggle launched only a month ago and unfortunately it seems that your country has not many users. Until the app grows, users will start to expand in your country. However if you have visited other areas such as the UK - you can add these places to your list and will therefore see more people.
The reason we ask users to have a profile photo is so that other users can see what you look like. 
Our safety features have been praised as the best in the app world. We use hyper-local technology and a 1 minute photo verification, which stops fake check-ins and profiles. Our 24/7 monitoring team are also on the watch of any abusive or abnormal behaviour from our users; so Huggle is in fact a very safe app. The reason why we use Facebook is because we want to verify every user.  This again makes the app safe. We are working on other ways to verify users but for now this is the only way. 
Kind regards,

Initially when I got the email, I felt very upset because I too felt like this email had been drafted wrongly about me and that there had been an attempt to harm my entity (as opposed to me writing falsehoods about them and trying to damage their brand). I gave it a few days and then decided that there was no reason for me to be upset about what they said and there was no reason for me to do what they said at all.


First of all, I did not merely 'spot' the competition. I applied for it. I got accepted. The application involves you mentioning your location. You wanted someone from a third world country to review your pretentious first world country app.

Secondly, I did not mention the word competition anywhere on my post. This just goes to show that you haven't even read my post. If you thought I was going to be talking about Huggle the whole time, no. I wanted to mention Bloggers Required so that my readers could sign up to them (not you) if they wanted to.

You want me to remove or edit my blogpost? Are you trying to tell me what to post on my blog? This part really makes me mad. Not only am I the one to apply, spare a couple of MBs on my small 8 GB phone, sign in to said app with difficulty, check said app every day, but also be the one who's supposed to censor my content? You want all of this done for free?

Oh wait, it's not for free, I get my name in a stupid competition I know I'm not gonna win anyway cause whatever you're offering me didn't even interest me that much in the first place. I just wanted the experience of working with a brand and let me say this, it's been terrible.

There's a lot of things on my blog that are not correct? This will damage your brand? Check out that wording. Thanks for making me feel like my blog is all wrong, instead of just the post about your app. Did you notice how this whole brand is all "ME! ME! ME!"?

Do you honestly think I- or any of the bloggers who applied- care about your brand? You didn't even make a decent effort to make me care. It was just "oh here's the app, try it out, write a review and you just might win some English money!" but I think I know why. It was probably because they already got their stats and technicians to decide that it was better to invest in the English bloggers than a Pakistani blogger.
Me: I'd love to write a review for the app but there's a lot of features I can't seem to use mostly because there's only one user apart from me using Huggle in my area. Would you still like a review from me? I could talk about the potential of the app. Let me know what you think. 
Them: Yes obviously in your area and due to us being a new app there may not be lot's of people. We're very busy here in London though and in the bigger cities. Perhaps talk about what Huggle aims to do, and the functions it has and essentially get people to download it, so you'll have more and more people to connect with eventually.
Oh yes, so much more ME! ME! ME! going on here. The only time when it's really about me, Kanra, it's "oh just get people to download it so you eventually have people to add on the app". Wow. Seriously? And hello. Islamabad is a big city. It's the capital of Pakistan. But you English people probably don't know that cause you're busy with London and Royal Weddings and British tea :C

If only you had visited other countries like UK. ????. ??????????????. NO. I DONT WANNA VISIT UK. NOT ANYMORE.

If you're a brand and you want me to write for you, here are a couple of things I want to say.
  • Do not expect me write your brand like it is amazing when it's not amazing and you should know that I won't ever blatantly say your brand sucks.
  • Do not expect me to change my content to suit you. I don't change. What's written is written. And only I get to decide what stays. This is my blog. Not yours.
  • Do not expect me to keel over when you play a victim card about your brand. I don't care about your brand image. Just as you don't care about me or the other bloggers you're using.
  • Do not expect me to promote your brand when you can't properly reciprocate my efforts.
  • You expect to get brilliant content for free? Over 20 people wrote posts for Huggle. Only three people get paid.  You're not allowed to be picky about the kind of content bloggers are posting about you if you can't even give them any sort of payment for what they're doing for you. Just take the three posts you liked and use those. Don't tell everyone else to fix themselves.
  • Do not expect me to change my personality for you. I have social anxiety. I will not post my picture on this app no matter how secure you say it is. I don't care if it's the most securest thing on this earth. I have anxiety.
Well, that's all the salt I have for today. I feel a lot better after typing this out! Have you ever collaborated with a brand? What was your experience?

No. I will not take down this post or the review post. These are my unpaid opinions.

10 comments:

  1. I do love a bit of drama :p That was a really interesting read! Thanks for being honest.

    www.effieisbored.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never collaborated with a brand, I've had a few emails with opportunities but I'm so wary about it! This was such an interesting post, I agree with everything you've said! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an interesting read and I feel like none of this is your fault and just a really shit brand! I'm going to read your review now x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting read.. None of it is your fault of course just smh at the brand ://

    elegantlychiic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really interesting, such a shame to see them abuse you like that! Brands do not have these magical rights if they are offering nothing in return :( xx

    sophieannetaylor.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, this is crazy. It's real sad to see that they sent that email to you. Some brands are just not worth it girl. Keep your head up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never collaborated with a brand yet and have also signed up to this sight so thank you for this post, and honesty, it's an eye opener ! It gives us bloggers a reason to be nervous about accepting offers ! Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, first none of this is your fault. And I completely get where you are coming from. A couple of brands emailed me and all they cared about was them. So I am very selective about brand collaborations and still haven't done it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh, so sorry you had this terrible experience, but I'm glad you recognize how off-base they were. And if they're worried about damaging their brand, perhaps they shouldn't be unkind to someone who posts an honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gosh. This is horrible. Personally i don't do reviews(Except for products i use like my Swagbucks and interpals review), because I feel complied to hype up the product, but i really don't think you did anything wrong. Reviews for most part are fake if you are getting paid for them, but if you're doing it for free then oh hell no there is no reason to hype it up!I think they should have paid every blogger who did a post or at least only accepted 3 people.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment and leave a link.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...