Friday, July 8, 2016

Eid Mubarak

Eid Mubarak! I'm a little late but that's okay because in Pakistan, we celebrate three days of Eid. Today is the third day, when I finally get time to sit down and write something. Before that, I was really tired and sleeping or watching YouTube if we hadn't gone out or had someone over at our place. (Which reminds me that I saw someone post on Facebook about how we spend Eid sleeping while we're all super excited for holidays that aren't even in our religion? Well, excuse me, I just spent an entire month fasting with a skewed sleeping schedule and Eid is literally the holiday when you can finally relax). But that's not the point! The point is-
My Eid has gone well so far! I woke up late in the morning (considering my mother was trying to wake me up from 7 am and I finally got up around 7:45 am), cleaned the house a bit, took a shower and then my maternal uncle came over with his kids and we got Eidi! After that we went to my paternal uncle's house for lunch and that was a lot of fun because the food was great and there was this really sweet pudding and awesome nutella cake. Oh, and more Eidi. In the evening, we went to my mom's cousin's place.

The second day started off slow since my dad had his shift at the hospital, so I tried writing a post then, but failed and ended up sleeping. In the evening we went to my maternal uncle's house (the same one who came over the first day) and we had dinner with him.

So yes, Eid went great, although it wasn't very exciting. I remember how excited we used to be when we lived in the US. Eid there involved everyone going to the masjid to pray together, there would be a really big gathering of familiar faces, since there weren't many masjids and everyone usually came to the same place. There would be carnivals and stalls- all very exciting things for a kid. So I was wondering why we couldn't have the same sort of thing on Eid too? I mean, we spent Ramadan inviting family over for iftar, and then on Eid, we did the same thing again. Nothing very different or exciting.

I went to my dad and I said "Why can't we go out or something? Why does Eid have to be spent at home- whether it's our home or someone else's home?". And he said that the problem with going out is that the entire city already has that in mind. All the interesting places to visit will be jam-packed with people who thought of the same way to spend their Eid. I suppose that's one negative point of celebrating in a Muslim country- everyone's celebrating so you can't really do anything special out. All the cinema halls are booked, malls jam packed, restaurants overflowing, parks trashed, tourist attractions full. There is literally nothing to do? Going out, now that I think about it, sounds like so much khwaari that I'm starting to regret even suggesting it.

For next Eid, I've decided to actually make a program. Buy lots of ice cream, chocolate, cookies and put on a movie for everyone to watch together. Pile up all the board games and have big competitions. Or maybe even go out to spend Eidi together- whether its splurging everything on books or toys or in my case, lots and lots of stationary xD

I just want something different.

1 comment:

  1. Eid Murubak! Where I live, it's called Hari Raya so we wish our Muslim friends 'Selamat Hari Raya'. But anyway...
    It's the same about everywhere being packed here- and Chinese New Year too.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment and leave a link.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...