Thursday, May 12, 2016

I Hate Game Of Thrones

Bring in the backlash, kids cause believe it or not, I don't like Game of Thrones one bit! But wait, instead of pouring out my emotions in the form of angry gifs, capital letters and bolded text, I will present to you a list of-


We're going to be talking about the book. I've read Game of Thrones but have not seen the show and don't even plan to- and here you'll be finding out why.

  1. Game of Thrones is extremely long. There are several chapters, each chapter with lots of details, characters and environment descriptions. As a result, the book is very long, the series is very long. It would take me several months to get through another book and at the end, I wouldn't even remember what had happened.
  2. There are too many characters. Which is not surprising, considering this is a fantasy about fighting for the throne of a kingdom. Of course there are going to lots of contenders, each with their own history and members. But to be honest, I can't keep up with all these people. It's really nice that there's so much detail but... I can't go through all of this.
  3. The violent explicit content is really violent and really explicit. I'm, in general, not that okay with violence, especially when it comes to senseless violence which Game of Thrones seems to be loaded with. I get it, Game of Thrones is supposed to be a stark contrast from The Lord of the Rings but really? Really? (did you get that pun ahahaha)
  4. Everyone is dying. Whoever I root for is dying. At first I thought it was just my choices that made people die but then I realized that the author just really likes killing characters off. Apart from that, things just seem to be constantly going down hill. The entire story looks like a spiraling vortex of darkness, violence and hopelessness.
  5. The plot is extremely complex. Some chapters follow this character, some chapters follow the other character. Sometimes you're really invested in one character and then you end up having to go through several chapters before that character is back again. By the time you get there, you'd probably forget where you left them off at in the first place. So the book tends to get a little disjointed sometimes.
I just can't bring myself to continue reading the series or to start watching the show. It's just one of those things that I think wouldn't agree with me at all. I wouldn't be comfortable reading it (it would feel an awful lot like homework, having to concentrate to what's happening- Game of Thrones is not leisure reading) and I most certainly would not be comfortable watching it either- alone or with someone else.

Have you read or seen Game of Thrones? What are your opinions about it?

8 comments:

  1. I tried reading it, but I definitely agree with you that there are TOO MANY PEOPLE. Specifically, there are too many people named Jon. Aren't there like three??? Idk man. It's confuzzling.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right about that. It's really hard to keep track of characters, it gets stressful reading n because you have to keep recalling what happened several chapters ago.

      Delete
  2. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Kanra, if there is anything on this planet that could cause the Space Police Radio Civil War, it's this post XD
    To me the series has always been leisure reading, but I have to say that I read it in high school, when I still had lots of time to read big books like these. The only thing I totally agree with from your list is the plot. With all those characters that have their own chapters, it just gets so difficult to remember what was happening to whom. Apart from that, I don't likeall characters and I couldn't care less about the Bran chapters, but skipping them isn't an option. This gets worse by the way: I don't know how far you've come, but the third book was split into two and the storylines of half of the characters are in one book, other half in the other, so it's not even in chronological order anymore.
    I don't think you'd like the tv series. The violence and sex scenes are very graphic, you see everything. I love both the books and the series, but I'm the kid who watched horror movies with her dad when she was nine years old XD
    I can understand why you don't like it though. Nice to see someone voice an opinion that's not just 'OMG I'M OBSESSED WITH IT' :)

    x Envy
    Lost in Translation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bring on the Civil War xD
      I personally can't handle long paragraphs. If the paragraph has really small writing and there's several lines with no visual break, I just start skipping lines. And in Game Of Thrones, it's literally walls of text, so I kind of end up skipping like 50% of the whole book. Game of Thrones isn't for every reader, I suppose and that's okay. :)

      Delete
  3. I still have to read the books. Will probably watch the show after that!

    -Kathie K
    A Sea Change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck getting through those fatterthanadictionary tomes xD

      Delete
  4. YES, I AGREE! I started reading the books, but I couldn't because it was just too much of everything. I watched the whole TV series up until the most recent season and it took me one season to understand what it's about. Sure, it's an interesting plot, but I can't handle the violence and torturing (I almost cried during Deadpool when they showed how they made him a superhero). I REALLY want to love it, because it's such a hype, but I can't. I think I'll read the books. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people don't understand that we don't like watching violence? I've had several people ask me "Do you watch GoT? Do you read GoT?" and I'm like "No, I don't like it!" and they act all offended. Yes, the books are quality, but that doesn't mean that violence automatically becomes something poetic that everyone has to read! or has to see! Or that I have to go through all that torture to see the good parts of the book (which are very few I think).
      Don't force yourself to love something that makes you uncomfortable! It took me a while to learn that.

      Delete

Feel free to comment and leave a link.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...