Wednesday, May 25, 2016

How to Make Kanra Mad

If you asked me personally, I'd say that it's not that easy to get me mad and riled up. I try to keep my cool and look at things objectively and critically; why is this person mad at me? Would being mad in response really be the best way to do this? How can I flip the situation around so no one gets hurt? I also tend to enjoy arguing if it involves seeing the other person's point of view and other perspectives on the issue.

When it comes to arguing, or as I would call it 'heated discussion', here are a couple of things you can do to make me really furious.

Turn the argument into a contest of who can yell their opinions out the loudest and reiterate their redundant points the most. So you decided to argue with someone who firmly believes that the sky is blue because it's a reflection of the ocean. If this person was constantly yelling over my voice
"The sky is a reflection of the ocean, Kanra! They're both blue!" 
and two seconds later they say
"You know what else is blue besides the sky? The ocean, Kanra! Clearly there is a relationship between the two!" 
and maybe five seconds later
"Have you heard of the laws of reflection? The sky is right on top of the ocean, Kanra so of course it's going to be blue too!"
Put conversation on repeat, with volume increasing after each statement. They don't care what argument you put up, even if it's something pretty solid like "But there's no ocean around here for miles, shouldn't the sky be green instead?"

Now here's one way that Stephen Colbert dealt with people like this. There's this one line in the video I'm linking that I really liked and plan on using next time people try to step over my voice.
"You know what I hate about people who criticize you? They criticize what you say but they never give you credit for how loud you say it-" 
"That's true!" 
"-or how long you say it"


Skip over to 5:14 if you don't want to watch the entire interview.

Abandon all sensible reasoning and start hurling baseless insults that don't help anyone in any sort of way. Let's just carry on with the previous example of the discussion regarding the color of the sky. I might be two centimeters away from blowing up on you but if you want to take the express train, try something like this.
"Are you stupid, have you never taken physics Kanra? Reflection is clearly the answer, you're just to thick-headed to see it!"
or maybe something like
"I bet you go home and cry in your pillow Kanra because you're always wrong, just like you are right now!"
or even something like
"Ugh, if you don't shut up and agree with me, I'm going to punch you in the face Kanra!"
And now because this Bill O'Reilly is the exact kind of person I wouldn't like to argue with, have another video of him! He's not insulting his guest, but he's basically trying to threaten him to shut up ("I'll boot you off this set!").



So these are two major pet peeves I have when it comes to arguments. Chances are if I argued with you and you were just being an overall jerk to me, I won't start up a discussion with you again (and quite possibly break off our friendship. Sorry but you gotta go, don't need this kinda negativity in my life). It's not me being defeated, it's me picking my battles. Because in arguing, there is no "winning" or "losing". It's either getting you to understand my point of view, or me learning about a new point of view.

So what do you think about arguing? Is it mostly productive or counter-productive? Do you pick your arguments carefully? Have a nice day!

1 comment:

  1. STEPHEN COLBERT IS MY FAVORITE BEAN. Agh he's just the smollest thing and I want to kidnap him and take him home with me. His videos on the election are my literal life. (I'm quite the political junkie, as you may know.)
    However, Bill O'Reilly is one of my least favorite people on TV. YES GO STEVEN BEAT HIM INTO A PULP. *ahem*

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment and leave a link.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...