Saturday, April 2, 2016

Let's Art! My Experience with Truck Art



One of the most prominent things you'll see on the roads in Pakistan are the decorated trucks, a variety of colors and motifs splashed on the sides and backs with bells jingling on the edges. Colorful and catchy, I thought it would be a great idea to try things for myself. Of course, before attempting any art, i always try digging through references. With some googling, I came across a couple of images that I thought I could integrate into my work.
Source: http://pakteahouse.net/2008/09/17/pakistans-truck-art/
I really wanted to draw peacocks so I picked up the design from here. I found it a little weird to have a fish in the tail and a pigeon on the back so I improvised the tail and kicked out the pigeon and the other fish.

Source: http://insider.pk/art/pakistani-truck-art-truly-art-form/
Peacocks are a popular motif when it comes to truck art. Other popular animals include horses, tigers and birds. Again, only peacocks are drawn with geometric shapes while the other animals are drawn with realism. Illustrations are also complimented with couplets from poems or popular phrases. The most commonly seen include "yeh sab meri maa ki dua he" (this is all the prayer of my mother) and "dekh magar pyaar se" (look but with love).

Source: http://www.houseofpakistan.com/exploring-truck-art-from-pakistan/
This one has text written on balloons. "Tipu yar" (Tipu, bro) "tang na kar" (don't annoy me). Now what that has to do with an eagle holding balloons, I have no idea.

Of course, you can't have abstract drawings without borders! I spent a lot of my time looking for a good border to use. Most borders are again, brightly colored and involve flowers, most prominently roses, encased in shapes and bordered with leaves. Vines are also used to form a variety of shapes. Another thing that really stands out is the use of eyes. A lot of trucks have eyes placed in borders. While somewhat creepy, they certainly fit into the outlandish art.

Source: http://kolkatakonnector.blogspot.com/2015/08/they-use-panels-of-trucks-as-canvas-for.html

Drawing the peacock wasn't hard but proportions were a bit difficult to handle. Was this really the center of the page? Did the shape look fine like this? Should I tilt the page a little? I used as many vibrant colors as I could, filling in the gaps with shapes rather than just colors. The border was a little tricky too, again thanks to not being in practice with regards to shape. 


So here's the finished piece. I had thought to have it scanned and color it in digitally but I haven't had the chance to do that and probably never will. In the end, truck art is an interesting form of art and I would most definitely try this again some time. If you found this interesting, feel free to try it for yourself! This art has plenty of room for messing around!

Have a nice day!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh truck art sounds so cool! Your illustration is gorgeous <3

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment and leave a link.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...