Sunday, March 27, 2016

Classic Disney

My childhood was a childhood of classic Disney cassettes. I wonder how many of the kids of this era remember what a cassette was, a box of plastic housing black tapes that contained a movie that ran on your television. Kind of like a DVD, yes. (What do you mean you don't know what a DVD is?!) So I thought I'd share with you guys not my favorite movies, but my favorite music tracks from the entire collection. Without further ado, I present Kanra's Collection of Classic Disney.


These are only a couple that I like. I might share more in the future but these are my favorites for now.


Listen to this carefully and tell me you didn't shiver at least once!
While I admit that the movie itself might be a little controversial due to the romanticist twist given to the history of colonization of the Americas, it could be overlooked if you see it as just a story and not a historical retelling. The face of Disney has become focused more on beautiful animation rather than beautiful story. While Frozen can be, simply put, reduced to "Let it Go", Pocahauntas cannot be so easily summed up. Just this music piece is more meaningful than Let it Go, so if you haven't seen this movie, you should definitely give it a go.
Another favorite from this movie must be Savages- the song with catchy choruses that had a little Kanra shrieking "savages!!" along with the characters. :P



Lion King was just my favorite out of all of them. First of all, tons of animals that were much more realistic than those of Madagascar (which, if you think about it, are actually pretty creepy) and boy, do kids love animals. What's even nicer about this song is about how all the animals are shown in their little family set ups. I used to find it really cute and I still do. 
Another piece from the same film "Not One of Us" comes to a close second. It's got catchy lyrics (DECEPTION an outrage DISGRACE. EVIL AS PLAIN AS THE SCAR ON HIS FACE) but it's not as meaningful as the one I've already mentioned, although it is an antithesis to "We are One" with the lines of 'you are not one of us'.


Actually on second thought, the entire Lion King is filled great music. Another one of my absolute favorites is "Lullaby". You'd think it would be nice and soothing and the thing is, it IS soothing- with violent imagery- "A melody of angry roars. A counterpoint of painful howls. A symphony of death, oh my! That's my lullaby!"
If there was ever a perfect villain song, this would be it.
Time to move on the next film!



I don't care what anyone says, this is such a great song. Everyone knows the chorus- it's literally a meme of the internet! What I liked best about this whole part was how Mulan initially was really bad at all the things that were expected of her but she kept on trying until she got her break through, letting her get on an even playing field and start outshining the other soldiers. That's really motivating- even if you're not doing so good just yet, keep trying. You'll get there very soon!
Here's a pretty good hindi version I found of the song.


This is just literally the saddest song. The absolute saddest. 
No other words.
"Little one, when you play don't you mind what they say
 let those eyes sparkle and shine, never a tear, baby of mine"


Now The Hunchback of Notre Dame was not part of my childhood (I think I watched it when I was like around 14 or something). I came across it again and I have to say, I really really like it, especially how it's showing contrasts- very true contrasts! A lot of people just end up praying for very material things while Esmeralda is praying for people less fortunate than her. Again, it sounds nice and is meaningful. 

These were some of my favorite pieces from Classic Disney. What is your favorite movie? Favorite song? Let me know in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. AHHHH CLASSIC DISNEY. I loved this post! My favorite movie was definitely Beauty and the Beast (Belle is literally me), and my favorite song has to be Chim-Chim-Cheree or Hakuna Matata.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catalina! It's been a long time my old blogger friend. :D I have to say that Mulan is probably my favorite Disney princess movie, just because of that song! Hope you are doing well! I like the new blog name!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment and leave a link.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...