Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Why I Don't Like Cats or Dogs

Pets are something that are often considered a part of childhood. A lot of the people reading this have probably had a pet at one point in time, whether it was a stray cat who ate dinner scraps or a frog you caught outside after the rain. While I personally like the idea of pets, there is no animal that I would like to keep as my own. None.
The very first pet I had was a fish. I remember my dad calling home one day and asking what my favorite color was. I don't remember if he mentioned the fish or not, but it was a red Siamese fighting fish, the first of four or five that would live in our house. The thing about Siamese fighting fish is that, well, they'd very much like to kill each other. Therefore, separate bowls for each. Now there weren't four bowls- just two. Whenever one died, another came in. I don't even remember how they would die- the fish were part of the 5-10 year old period of my life that I spent in Florida.

Source
Now when it came to cleaning the fish bowls, I would back out and my brother would be the one cleaning the bowls, and he really liked picking up the fish and holding it. Being a fan of Finding Nemo, I could literally hear the fish gasping for air- I mean, water- and that's when I decided I couldn't possible clean a fish tank.

During the whole fish episodes, we also had little froglet episodes. Now the thing about Florida is that during the summers, it would rain on a really tight schedule. As soon as the clock struck 4, you knew it was going to rain and it was going to rain hard. Lasting for an hour or so, the sun would come right back out and it was back to looking like a sunny beach day.

The Florida house. We call it "Blue Home" because well, it's blue and it's home :)
So our house had a little depression of sorts in the lawn where the water would pile up and there were a bunch of small teeny tiny tadpoles. Can you guess what my fish holding brother did? He got a yogurt cup and filled it with tadpoles and kept it in the garage, wanting to see how they would grow into frogs. Not surprisingly, they didn't.

The dog incident happened after the fishes and before the tadpoles. I think I was 7 or 8 and we lived in a different house which had a cul-de-sac ending to the street and we lived right at the end. So outside the driveway, there was a perfectly big circle of tarmac, great for riding your bike around and not getting dizzy, which was exactly what I was probably doing when the neighbor's dog decided to join me. Oh, how I screamed and pedaled for my life! Their dog was really big, and much faster but it thought we were playing so it would run fast enough to snap at my heels and bark. I pedaled all the way up the driveway where my father was and literally jumped into his arms in terror. I think the dog wanted to jump too but then its owner made their appearance and apologized. Nevertheless, traumatized for life. I can not handle dogs at all.

When we came to Pakistan, the first pet we got were a pair of chickens with feathers on their feet. I'm just going to call them feather feet chickens. So at first, they were really small and we used to live on the first floor, so we'd keep them in their cage and let them out occasionally on the terrace. It was fun catching them and everything but it certainly wasn't fun when they'd poop on the floor. One had yellow-orange eyes while the other had greenish blue ones. When they got really big- too big to fit in their cage, we had to give them away. I wasn't too sad to see them go, those chickens really had scary looking talons under their feathers >.>

A feather-foot chick. They look cute now, but see them when they're all grown up.  Source.
I spent two years in Karachi and during those two years, there were occasional visits to my cousin's place. They had adopted a street cat and called it 'Momo'. Momo was the kind of cat who frolicked in and out of the house and had an uncanny tendency to slip in and out from between your legs or into your lap. The whole feeling of something brushing you was so foreign to me that I usually took it as a bad stimulus, often jumping a foot high and darting out of the place. It didn't help that I've been scratched by a cat before, so I'm generally not okay with cats either. Being a cat lady is totally out of the question.

The only conclusion I've reached is that perhaps I should just settle for a turtle. Turtles sound great- they won't escape, like snakes, and they won't be hard to catch, like lizards. Yes, perhaps I should be a turtle lady- just like the guy in Esio Trot!
Do you have any pets? What do you like about keeping an animal friend?

On a side note, TBC is open for submissions for the February newsletter. The theme is #hashtagoverload, which basically refers to the vast theme of social media. Send in old blogposts or write up something new and send it here themowolverinewrites@gmail.com to have it published in the TBC Reader! Have a nice day!

9 comments:

  1. I do like cats and dogs, however I agree that a turtle would be a pretty awesome pet!
    I haven't got any pets at the moment, however in the past I've had a crazy rabbit and two hamsters...

    Lauren | Pretty Things & Polka Dots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, rabbits! My mother used to have pet rabbits when she was a little girl but she said it takes a lot of work, since you have to take very good care of it and that she cleaned after them so much especially when they got sick and started losing their fur.

      And hamsters are also very cute to have as pet!

      Delete
  2. To be honest, I feel like I can't trust anyone else's dogs...Even if I've been around them
    a couple of times. It just doesn't work for me, an animal is an animal. A human is a human. You have no idea what that animal can do to you, and everything they do just seems so sudden.

    I've gotten chased by a dog twice, it was HORRIBLE. The first time was when I was in France, my mother and I were talking to a really nice lady, she had a small dog and it WAS NOT on a leash.

    Then yeah, I ran because I was scared and it ran after me. Then the owner stopped it somehow.

    The second time was last year in Hastings, my mum and Aunty was talking to a really nice man, I'm pretty sure this one didn't have a leash on it too, I ran (WHYYY?!!) and it ran after me. This one was WAYY worse than the one, because I was running down a steep hill! I ran FOR MY LIFE, if the owner didn't stop it I don't think I would of. I fell over and grazed me knee, it's horrible.

    ~ Rukiya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! And it's so weird when people around are gushing about their dogs and sharing pictures of their pets and you are forced to admit that they ARE cute but deep inside, something inside you just dies because how can something that looks so cute be so ferocious and terrifying? And you just keep remembering those bursts of terror from before :(

      Dogs without a leash sound like horrific little disasters waiting to happen.

      Delete
  3. I did have a hamster though XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hamsters are really cute! My cousins had a hamster and the little thing would run on its wheel so fast that it would either slip and go round and round up and down the wheel or just fly off. It was so funny and yet so heart breaking xD what happened to your hamster?

      Delete
  4. Hey! I nominated you for the Liebster award, hope you don't mind!
    Enjoy answering your questions!
    http://imdoingteenagingwrong.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/the-liebster-award-x2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I look forward to answering your questions!

      Delete
  5. You'd be surprised at how quick turtles are! In elementary school I had a classmate who had a bunch of turtles and one of them kept running away, to the point that they found it at the other side of the street after only a few minutes of going missing. I once had a turtle that came into my possession after running away and when we found its original owners we found out they lived about 5 kilometers away from us. So think twice! :D

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment and leave a link.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...