Monday, January 11, 2016

Spic & Span

It's been a while! I should have told you all before, but I had gone on a short trip to Karachi! My flight was on the morning of 4th of January and I returned to my city on the night of the 10th- making a total of 7 days. While among all my little cousins, I had the chance to relax a bit and think of what to write for my blog. No, I was totally not pressured into thinking of what to write by my mother sharing flattering descriptions of my rising writing career as a famous blogger to various relatives.

And here you can see that Islamabad is all the way at the top near the mountains and Karachi is all the way at the bottom near the Arabian Sea. Also, Pakistan is not in Arabia or the Middle East. I thought everyone knew Pakistan was in South East Asia until SnapChat uploaded a story on Karachi, labeling it as "Middle East". Pfft, geography illiterates.
So when I came back, I figure the best way to get back into action was to clean out my things! I came home from med school, pulled up my sleeves and decided to get to work. There was a lot of junk mixed u with my things because- here comes my honest confession- I am a hoarder. There was an unimaginable amount of stuff I found- things I had thought would come in useful some day but that was almost two years ago and I still haven't found anything useful for them to be.

I threw out my planners from 2012-2013 and 2013-2014. I found a bunch of airplane tickets, zoo maps, cinema tickets, random fliers, informative pamphlets, musings published by other people, school magazines, my old report cards, student IDs, a math worksheet, psychology notes, unfinished artwork, broken jewelry, old passport/identity photographs, tape, lots of leads, even more sticky notes and not to mention, quite a few pieces of paper money.

Okay these might look like a measly amount of notes but I assure you, it felt like quite a lot especially when I found the places where I stashed the larger notes.
Now while all these discoveries sounds great, it was still a hassle separating things from "I'm okay with throwing this out" and "I definitely NEED to keep this". I had to think about what I was going to do with the plane tickets and interesting fliers. I certainly didn't NEED them and yet I wasn't okay with throwing them out. That's when I remembered about the art journals that Noor and Areeba were working on. I could do a similar journal, but with all the paper memories I brought from my travels. I haven't started on the journal yet but I've gathered together all the material I intend to save.

I also thought I'd found the perfect container for the Happy Jar project. Originally a pen holder, it's a normal glass jar that my aunt and I had decorated together by wrapping construction paper around it, gluing on decorated slips and sticking on cute little stickers. I think we made it together at least seven years ago. Ever since then, it had just been sitting in the back of my closet as a decorative item, holding up a small fake bouquet and paintbrushes and stuff. I took it out, cleaned it and set it aside for it to become a Happy Jar.

My artistic 'holding a jar' photograph. Are you judging my fashion taste! I was 13 years old at the very most >.>
Then I found an old perfume can- the can that carried the perfume. Incidentally, the perfume itself was called "Happy" and had been a gift from one of my friends. Unfortunately, it was filled with things I didn't NEED and I was OKAY with throwing out. Namely, it contained a bunch of bracelets. Now I used to have a thing for bracelets, back in the day where little girls around the world liked to make their own bracelets and wear them and give them to friends.

However, all good things come to an end. I think the first time I got a negative comment about my bracelets was the day I started thinking that maybe bracelets weren't my thing. It happened during the last few days of Grade 12, when my class was the senior most class in the school and we got to break a lot of rules, like shoes and stuff because we were the outgoing class and nobody really wanted to ruin the last year of school for us. So I had this really pretty watch that was all rainbow and multi-colored and the plate behind the numbers would change colors according to your mood (now that I'm grown up, I know it's because of temperature, but okay) and I had crafted the perfect beaded bracelets to match the watch. Now there was this one teacher that everyone seemed to really like and I guess that wasn't the case for me. I'm a really shy person, so it hurt when she sat down in class and everyone is sitting in their seats and talking to her and she stops and looks at my wrist and verbally drags me into the spotlight, talking about how flashy my 'jewelry' is and that it looked near gaudy, comparing it the more fashionable, make-up included squad in the junior class. Mortified, I set my gaze on the floor and waited for the topic to move on before hastily stuffing the rainbows back into my bag. As small an event as this might be, I think my lack of enthusiasm for bracelets began from here.

I told my sister to take all the bracelets and she could give them to her friends since they are probably still capable of liking bracelets.



Now,where was I? Oh right, my new Happy Jar! It's bright orange and I have a feeling I don't like the brightness that much, so I was thinking about redesigning it a bit to tone it down. So far, I've put inside two paper cranes, both of which my Japanese friend and classmate made for me. She's a really nice person and says a lot of random nice things so I'm sure the cranes certainly count as something happy!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

So how have you guys been? How are your New Year's Resolutions going? 

2 comments:

  1. Happy new year you amazing human being. A part of me knows that if I would have known about your trip,I probably would have come up with some elaborate anf tragically comedic comment along the lines of - take me with you or I can fit into a suitcase. But it's better late than never.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too, cupcake! If you had known about my trip, I probably would have emptied a suitcase just for you :D

      Delete

Feel free to comment and leave a link.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...