Wednesday, June 17, 2015

BookShelf: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children




9460487A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of curious photographs.

A horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography.
~Goodreads

I picked up this book because I had come across opinions that said it was "horrifying and gave me nightmares" or "kept me reading till morning" and as a result, I was prepared to be as terrified as Ted the Caver.
I was sorely disappointed.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children starts off with Jacob explaining his relationship with his grandfather and the stories he used to share when Jacob was younger. The stories consisted of how his grandfather joined the army in WW2 and fought "monsters". As Jacob grows older, he casts these tales aside until one day, one of the monsters comes back into his life and murders his grandfather. Off goes Jacob, on a hunt to rediscover his grandfather.

There was a lot of potential for spookyness. I mean, a creepy town on an island with only one landline, no mobile signals, swamps and bogs and a museum has a lot of potential. Unfortunately, very little of these were utilized. The only part where I felt some creepyness was the part where Jacob was snooping around the derelict house.

The text is punctuated with vintage photographs
The children were in no way dangerous or quarantined or anything. It might've been scary if that was actually true, but it didn't seem that way at all. On top of that, they might have had the body of children, but as each stated their ages, they were all seniorly aged, at least 70+. So that was another really weird thing, considering how they still acted like children.
I really enjoyed the creepy photographs though. They made the whole book worth it. I think a book is amazing if it affects your life, and this book affected mine by introducing me to vintage photography- which I think I've fallen in love with now. (This isn't really related to the story or doesn't seem to fit in a book review, but honestly. I love this book for this very reason).

The monsters in MPHFPC...

Simply misunderstood and mind controlled Ood? Call in the Doctor!

Last but not least, the book ends in an absolute cliff hanger that will make you say "What. What kind of ending was that". It makes you wonder what happens next, but I for one, was not persuaded to dig around for the sequel just yet.

I'd give this book a ratting of 4/5 stars.

Happy reading ^^.

3 comments:

  1. My sister has read this book, though I've never asked what she thought. I never thought it was a book of nightmares, so I suppose I wouldn't be disappointed in that regard. It sounds interesting, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too bad that you didn't find it that great! I think that the storyline sounds really good, though, and I love the idea of the vintage photos ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds super interestinggg! I'm really interested in stuff like that cos i love psychology. Haha! I hope I'll be able to find this book in the library soon. :)

    Thanks for the recommendation! <3

    ~Natasha

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment and leave a link.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...