Friday, March 6, 2015

Writing Horror

Assalamualaikum ^^.

"Write a book you want to read" is what I always tell myself after closing a book that leaves me momentarily unsatisfied. There will always be some books out there with brilliant plots and amazing ideas but some angle taken up would most probably be labelled as cringeworthy and that's not what we're aiming for. We're aiming for read worthy.

Now why am I talking about Wattpad? Because this website has suddenly re-entered my life. I've decided to write my poetry on Wattpad and at the same time, try to satiate my hunger for a smashing horror or thriller book. Unfortunately, it hasn't been working out so far.

Most horror books tend to be about zombies or vampires. I'm not saying they can't be horrific, but it's just that I wan't something absolutely fresh. Everybody knows zombies are bad and that they're basically rotting humans who are undead. And everybody knows vampires are devilspawns who are basically wax humans who are... also undead?

I don't want to read a horror story about something I already know about!

After reading through a couple of horror stories, I felt as though I would never find anything I would actually like. I didn't feel mildly horrified or even emotionally attached to any of the characters to feel their pain and fear typed rapidly on the screen without proofreading.

There WAS this one story that really creeped me out. Ted the Caver. This was one of the most brilliant pieces of horror I had ever come across. This story frightened me and I found myself actually looking over my shoulder and jumping at shadows and regaining my childish fear of the dark. In other words?

Ted the Caver is pure awesomeness. And I want more.

That's where the problem comes up.

"Write a book you want to read" is what I say to myself after reading feeble attempts at horror. I'm starting to think I'll go mad if I don't write something! So let's try it.

*~*~*~*~*

It was his first time taking the night shift at the asylum. Desperate times call for desperate measures. This was the only job that would take him without questions and this was the schedule he had been given for the day.
He had seen many things that had shocked him and turned his world upside down. He had a feeling this would be one of those things again. His gut was telling him to run and get out before it was too late.
"And this would be your handy flashlight" finished the guard who had been on the evening shift. "I didn't use it at all so it should have full battery, but in case you need more, there's some inside the desk in the guard room"
He jerked his thumb at the door behind him.
"Anything else I should know-" he asked, glancing at the name on the shirt tag- "Mike?"
Mike thought for two seconds.
"Well, if you get hungry, there's free food in the basement cafeteria" he said, grinning and then punched him lightly on the shoulder. "But don't pig out in there"
He found himself relaxing and telling his gut to shut up. He exchanged greetings with Mike and watched the older man leave, walking through the front yard and head towards the open gate, that appeared very far away, illuminated only by small lamps on either side of the wall.
Sucking in his breath and clipping the flashlight to his belt, he entered the asylum.
A blast of cold air greeted him. He shivered and shut the door, walking into the lobby and taking out the ring of keys. First things were first- check all the doors and lock them if they're unlocked. It was a daunting task, considering that every floor had it's own enormous ring of keys. He was sure it would take all night.
He started from the right wing of the asylum, ground floor. Out patient department, the sign read. That meant that this was where the crazies got sorted into really crazy or actually crazy. He had seen one of the actually crazies throw a terrible fit with one of the doctors here. He had seen because he had been on the morning shift that day.
It was a horrible affair. She had been perfectly calm, he was told, until the doctor brought up something about "confronting your inner demons" which had triggered some sort of violent reflex. She had launched herself at the doctor, easily tossing aside the attendant who had jumped to restrain her and without warning, grabbed his throat in a snake-like grip. Luckily, the doctor was a veteran with the actually crazies and had pressed the alarm button as soon as he saw her tense into a pounce in her chair. Better safe than sorry.
He had arrived just in time to see her throw off the attendant again, still holding the doctor's neck. He didn't have time to think- he had swung his metal stick into the back of her head and she had crumpled after an audible sound that made him sick to his stomach.
He took it upon himself to patrol the gardens outside the asylum and no one had a problem with that. Until he found the actually crazy woman staring at him from her window on the fourth floor every day whenever he was there. He changed his timings day after day but she was always watching. He was too terrified and ashamed to raise his voice and greet her, or perhaps ask her what the problem was. Although she hadn't seen him hit her, he had a sickening feeling that she knew. The baleful glare he flinched from every time he raised his gaze towards the asylum was proof of it.
She was on the fourth floor, left wing. He would have to go to her eventually, but the night was short and the doors were many. He hoped he could focus on his job and forget about the crazies who were all gathered in the asylum. His job was to lock them up.
Lock them up.
A cold shiver ran up his spine as he heard a door groan and bang in the silence of the corridor.
Surely the ward rooms were locked?

*~*~*~*~*

I can't help it. I'm getting obsessed with horror. I can't watch horror movies though (more like, I'm too scared to go to movies yet- better stay on Level 1:Books). Do you have any suggestions for good horror novels?

6 comments:

  1. I'm not really into the horror genre myself, but I think the kind of emotional requirement to make us that apprehensive is awesome! I liked the snippet you shared below, although I found the pacing a little slow—but hey, that's what edits are for. It's definitely got a creepy start, and we're certainly worried about him. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm not much into horror myself (even though I find it fascinating, it still gives me the creeps) but I think you've really got the feel of it :3

    About the saying, "Write a book you want to read", I've always wanted to do exactly that but somehow most of my works end up incomplete and drafted because I think it isn't up to par just yet :l

    I'd love to be able to write like you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey hun! Thanks so much for checking my blog out! I followed you on GFC and would love if you followed back! I'm about to start reading through your blog, I really like it so far!

    Jenan
    http://lavieenmauve-jj.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salam!
    Hahuuhmmm.

    Well, all avid readers will always feel like that after reading a not-so-worth-my-time book/novel. Like "that's it? Man, I could write something better!" But ah! To our utmost disappointment haha perhaps practice will help.

    I love thrillers/. Oh I miss reading thrillers @_@ But horrors? not much.

    On your story here: As fellow writer who wanted to write his/her own book. This is a good start ^_^
    But the asylum? It's just what you said, we already know how asylums are "spooky". But coming from the medical field, I don;t think all asylums are like that haha and they are not called "asylums" anymore. I think. And "Crazy" people are not always that scary ^_^

    Nwy, I agree with the one who said this was a bit slow, or you spent too long a time developing the "crazy" girl that the protagonist witnessed, then we were suddenly back to present (locking doors). Just a brief story of what he "saw" might be better, then a good transition to the present would be great.

    Nope, I don't claim that I know better. You are still the master of your own work ^_^ I would love to read your books in the future :D in sha Allah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So after reading your story I got addicted to horror again :D
    I looked up Ted the Caver and I like it, even though I haven't finished it yet. Did you check out Creepypasta wikia? There's some pretty scary shit on there :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment and leave a link.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...