Monday, March 20, 2017

Code Black

code black:An influx of patients so great, there aren't enough resources to treat them
The average ER is in code black five times per year
I can't help it, I love watching doctor shows. There's something really interesting about seeing drama in medicine, especially when some of the gibberish the doctors are saying make sense. While Code Black doesn't have any of that aspect in it yet (since it's about the Emergency Department and most of the gibberish is about acute trauma, instead of deranged physiology or obscure diseases), it's still exciting to watch.


“Your Mama knows when you are lying, crying, or dying…” - Code Black 101


I remember watching an episode of House which involved sports medicine. I can't remember the entire case properly, but I remember tying it in with erythropoietin and how it stimulates the bone marrow to create more red blood cells. Having lots of red blood cells is something that is good for people in athletic competitions because it gives you extra stamina. You can get lots of red blood cells by taking steroids, which is why athletes have blood tests done to make sure no one's cheating by taking steroids!

I've said this before, but I can't really do anything like that in Code Black, where patients are coming in the ambulance with burns and falls and suffocation- all trauma. This show covers all the stress and messiness of an ER. One of my favorite little clips is when the camera shows a sweep mop trying to get all the blood cleaned off the floor. It's a fairly repeated concept clip (it might even be the same clip, I'm not sure) but it doesn't fail to convey how there are messes happening there all the time and all you can do it is clean up and start again, in a never-ending cycle.

There are moments when the acting is a little cringy, but it's overall bearable. I like how the residents all have different personalities- for me, out of all of them, the two male residents stand out the most because they have such obvious flaws. Angus is a resident who got thanks to his dad. While he is smart, he's also really unconfident (#relatable). Mario on the other hand, is somewhat desperate to stay where he is and is ready to dump his fellows under the bus if it means giving himself a sense of security. Of course, dirty tricks like that don't work out in his favor and he eventually learns to knock it off.

The female residents, Christa and Malaya are also interesting, while not as flawed. Christa was spurred into medicine by personal trauma and seems to be doing alright, same for Malaya. Instead of being interesting throughout the episodes I watched, they both only had specific events highlighting their characters. Christa's problems came out when she received her first infant as a patient, which caused her to fall back several times. I really liked that- how she tried her best to be the baby's doctor but due to her past, was unable to carry out procedures on the baby. She kept hesitating, but her attending doctor was okay with that and took over whenever she felt too overwhelmed to keep going.

Malaya on the other hand, should be having my sympathy since she's Indian, but she hasn't really been shown in an particularly stressful situation where you could see what she was capable of. There was one episode where she had to deal with a black patient and in her attempt to be helpful, made her patient's guardian feel like Malaya was stereotyping them. I laughed out loud when the guardian called Malaya "Princess Jasmine". That's it, literally. That's all I remember about Malaya. I hope she comes up a bit more in the next episodes.


The other characters are great. I really like Dr Rorish (she seemed a lot like House in the first episode, but she's actually really different. The only similarity is that they both tend to use outrageous procedures, House more than Rorish), and Dr Hudson is my favorite AFTER Jesse. (It's a ridiculous way of listing favorites, I know. It sounds like a math problem, please don't try to solve it).

Anyway! I'd give this show a 4/5. I was recommended this show by my friend, so shout out to you, you know who you are, and I would recommend this show to people interested in doing medicine. It certainly captures a lot of the emotions involved in medicine, especially like coming to terms with death and grief, whether the doctor's or the patient's. Unfortunately, it's a very repeated tactic (the show is emotional punch after emotional punch) so it might not be a good idea to binge this show. Just a heads up.
twitter || bloglovin' || instagram >

14 comments:

  1. I also really enjoy watching a medical show. It's called Grey's Anatomy. I'm not sure how accurate the procedures and terminology ares...but it makes for great drama and an enticing view.

    Steph
    www.socialpying.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched Grey's Anatomy mostly because it's so hyped! Then again, House is pretty hyped too and I watched that... Do you think I should watch Grey's Anatomy? xD

      Delete
  2. I was looking for some shows centered around doctors (besides Grey's Anatomy) and now I have something to check out when I get my homework done xD Thanks for the review though. Are there any other shows that have decent plot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely like House. The first seasons which I watched were great. I'm not sure how the latest seasons are going, but if you haven't seen House, watch it!

      Delete
  3. I'm not a fan of ER shows (I haaate anything to do with blood or seeing injuries, so I sit there tense and worried the whole time!) but this sounds like it has some good characters and stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! But again, there's a lot of blood and trauma going so you'll definitely find it queasy D:
      Thank you for dropping by <3

      Delete
  4. I really like the sound of this show! The only medical themed show I've ever really gotten into was Scrubs, which I think is probably more of a comedy, but this sounds really great! It's interesting to read a review of a medical show from a trainee doctor's viewpoint! Thanks for sharing!

    Abbey ❤️ www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard great things about Scrubs but I haven't had the opportunity to watch it!
      Yes, Code Black is far more serious, there isn't much light-hearted humor in the script.
      Overall, I still think House was great to watch since it mentions pathologies that I'm studying right now!

      Thank you for visiting! <3

      Delete
  5. Haha why am I not surprised you like a medical show! I have to say, they aren't my thing. I did watch Getting On with Jo Brand because I like that type of humour. However, seeing surgical procedures is not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right xD why would anyone be surprised, honestly? xD
      I didn't like medical shows when I was kid! I never understood them and I didn't like watching people in pain, but now that I'm actually studying this stuff, it's easier to watch and even enjoy these kinds of shows (or maybe it's because I grew up and now know that everyone is acting xD)

      I haven't seen that show! I think it would be interesting- and I'd love to check it out! Thank you for visiting Llinos :D

      Delete
  6. This sounds like an interesting show! I've never really got into medical shows, but I am looking for a new series to start so, perhaps, I'll give this one a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! Let me know what you think about it! :D I'd love to read your review.

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a fab shows! Medical shows aren't really my thing but this one however sounds very interesting! I'll definitely give this one a go :) x

    TOUCHOFGS // BLOGLOVIN 

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment and leave a link.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...